Upgrade Plone 4.3.1 to Plone 4.3.15 on Windows

Hi Kim,
You explained to a member that you upgraded from plone 4.3.1 on Windows to plone 4.3.15 using the buildout of 4.3.15 tar.gz.

Please, how did you proceed?
In addition, did you need to install Mocrosoft Visual C ++ and Python 2.7 for example on your system?

In addition, someone else was able to update to plone 4.3.15 then 4.3.18.
Hotfixes are essential at every stage or only at the end?

Thanks in advance

To see which hotfixes are available and apply to a version of Plone, go to https://plone.org/security and look at the link called Available Hotfixes

I don’t recall exactly what I did but I probably edited the buildout.cfg and changed the version of Plone that is pinned.

Can you give us a link to the post you refer to?

Thank you for your reply.
The link is: https: //community.plone.org/t/windows-7-x64-upgrade-from-4-3-1-vanilla-to-4-3-15-trying-variations/5467/ 8

Unless I’m mistaken, in that thread i mentioned the Windows installer for Plone that worked with Plone 5. I’m not sure it works correctly now for 5.1 but the unified installer that @smcmahon maintains works with the latest 5.1

What @IntranetGWT did was take the *.cfg files from the Plone 4.3.15 unified installer and copy them to his 4.3.whatever installation and reran the buildout executable

If you’d like help, please provide step by step detailed command lines you run, and the complete text of errors you encounter.

Thank you for your reply.
I will try as soon as possible.

Here are the results of attempts to update Plone 4.3.1 to Plone 4.3.15 on tree different computers running Windows 10.
The configuration of "buildout" respects the indications of "Plone Component Versions" under the paragraph [buildout].

The elements of configuration on the PCs:

Pone 4.3.1

Microsoft Visual C++ Compiler for Python 2.7
get-pip.py
pip
Phython 2.7.15
setuptools-39.0.1
Configuration

Buildout
extends =
base.cfg

versions.cfg

http://dist.plone.org/release/4.3.15/versions.cfg

If you change your Plone version, you'll also need to update

the repository link below.

find-links +=
Index of /release/4.3.15/

[versions]
plone.recipe.unifiedinstaller = 4.3.15

Les résultats de bin/buildout:

PC No1
Microsoft Windows [version 10.0.17134.345]
(c) 2018 Microsoft Corporation. Tous droits réservés.
Avec MAJ Ă  Plone 4.3.15 et suppression de
Produits.PloneHotfix20130618
C:\Users\Purnata>cd \

C:>cd C:\Plone43

C:\Plone43>bin\buildout.exe
Uninstalling run-instance.
Uninstalling precompiler.
Uninstalling zopepy.
Uninstalling backup.
Uninstalling repozo.
Unused options for buildout: 'buildout-user' 'user' 'need-sudo' 'zcml'.
Installing instance.
Generated script 'C:\Plone43\bin\instance'.
Generated interpreter 'C:\Plone43\parts\instance\bin\interpreter'.
Installing repozo.
Generated script 'C:\Plone43\bin\repozo'.
Installing backup.
Generated script 'C:\Plone43\bin\backup'.
Generated script 'C:\Plone43\bin\fullbackup'.
Generated script 'C:\Plone43\bin\snapshotbackup'.
Generated script 'C:\Plone43\bin\restore'.
Generated script 'C:\Plone43\bin\snapshotrestore'.
Installing zopepy.
Generated interpreter 'C:\Plone43\bin\zopepy'.
Installing precompiler.
Compiling Python files.
SyntaxError: ('invalid syntax', ('c:\plone43\eggs\restrictedpython-3.6.0-py2.6.egg\RestrictedPython\tests\before_and_after27.py', 30, 17, ' x = {y: y for y in whatever if y}\n'))

SyntaxError: ('invalid syntax', ('c:\plone43\eggs\restrictedpython-3.6.0-py2.6.egg\RestrictedPython\tests\security_in_syntax27.py', 6, 13, ' {y: y for _restricted_name in x}\n'))

Compiling locale files.
Error while compiling c:\plone43\eggs\python_gettext-1.2-py2.6.egg\pythongettext\tests\test5.po
Error while compiling c:\plone43\eggs\python_gettext-1.2-py2.6.egg\pythongettext\tests\test_escape.po
Installing run-instance.
Generated script 'C:\Plone43\bin\run-instance'.
Updating service.
*************** PICKED VERSIONS ****************
[versions]

*************** /PICKED VERSIONS ***************

C:\Plone43>

PC No2

Microsoft Windows [version 10.0.16299.492]
(c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. Tous droits réservés.

C:\Users\Yoga-Siddhi>cd \

While:
Installing.
Loading extensions.
Error: There is a version conflict.
We already have: setuptools 0.6c11

Microsoft Windows [version 10.0.16299.492]
(c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. Tous droits réservés.

C:\Users\Yoga-Siddhi>cd \

While:
Installing.
Loading extensions.

PC No3

Microsoft Windows [version 10.0.17134.345]

C:\Users\Mahatma>cd \

While:
Initializing.

An internal error occurred due to a bug in either zc.buildout or in a
recipe being used:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "c:\plone43\eggs\zc.buildout-1.7.1-py2.6.egg\zc\buildout\buildout.py", line 1865, in main
command, args)
File "c:\plone43\eggs\zc.buildout-1.7.1-py2.6.egg\zc\buildout\buildout.py", line 203, in init
data['buildout'].copy(), override, set()))
File "c:\plone43\eggs\zc.buildout-1.7.1-py2.6.egg\zc\buildout\buildout.py", line 1507, in _open
downloaded)
File "c:\plone43\eggs\zc.buildout-1.7.1-py2.6.egg\zc\buildout\buildout.py", line 1452, in _open
path, is_temp = download(filename)
File "c:\plone43\eggs\zc.buildout-1.7.1-py2.6.egg\zc\buildout\download.py", line 99, in call
local_path, is_temp = self.download(url, md5sum, path)
File "c:\plone43\eggs\zc.buildout-1.7.1-py2.6.egg\zc\buildout\download.py", line 185, in download
os.remove(tmp_path)
WindowsError: [Error 32] Le processus ne peut pas accĂšder au fichier car ce fichier est utilisĂš par un autre processus: 'c:\users\mahatma\appdata\local\temp\buildout-mjcaxm'
In english :"The process can not access the file because this file is being used by another process"

I tried to provide you with all the information.
In advance I thank you for your help.
I know it's a bit long :-)!

seems your old Plone was built using Python 2.6; I have never run Plone on top of Windows, but IMO you'll need to bootstrap your buildout again using the right versions of Python and setuptools in order to succeed.

maybe other can point you on the right direction.

You can ignore the SyntaxError on "PC No 1" (the installation process sometimes tries to compile things which are not normal Python files). Looks for me as if the buildout run on "PC No 1" has been successful.

The buildout run fails on your "PC No 2" and "PC No 3" due to a version conflict: likely the setuptools version used by buildout itself is different from that required in the versions section. I see two possibilities:

1. You copy the installation from "PC No 1" to the other PCs. As the buildout artefacts may contain absolute file paths, this will likely only succeed if the location is the same on all PCs. But you may be able to run the copied buildout (even at a different place) and get a working Plone.

2. You override the setuptools version in a versions section of your own such that Plone and buildout use the same version. Of course, this might pose problems at a later time.

@Adomy do you still need help with this topic? I'm trying to mark the resolved ones by renaming the topic title to include '[RESOLVED]'...

Hi Kim,
I will try to apply the advice of Hvelarde and Dieter, then I will give feedback.

Thanks for your interest.

Hello ,
I realized that in reality the result on PC No1 was a little misleading.
Indeed when I change the version numbers in "version.cfg" and "base.cfg", then I get the following results:

1. comment out "buildout.cfg" the line "versions.cfg" only I get the error

« Microsoft Windows [version 10.0.17134.345]

While:
Installing.
Loading extensions.

C:\Plone43> »

1. comment out both "buildout.cfg" the lines "base.cfg" and "versions.cfg", I get the error:

« Microsoft Windows [version 10.0.17134.345]

While:
Installing.
Loading extensions.

C:\Plone43> »

It seems that I find the suggestion of Hvelardeconsistant to "bootstrap your buildout again using the correct version of python”.
In this case python 2.7.15 I imagine.

Please, concretely, how can I "bootstrap" the buildout on Windows with python 2.7.15?
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Fetch a modern bootstrap.py for buildout, e.g. from github. Put it in your buildout directory (where there is also your buildout.cfg). Run it there with the Python version, you want to use (which must have been installed beforehand).

It might be necessary to use bootstrap.py command line arguments to specify which version of setuptools and zc.buildout should be used. You likely find those versions in the versions.cfg. python bootstrap.py --help likely tells you all about bootstrap.py's command line options.

Thank you very much for the clarification.
I will do this as soon as possible.

Thanks again.

Hello everyone
I'm not sure I did it right.

In my attempt to update Plone 4.3.1 to Plone 4.3.15, and following your kind advice, I retrieved the bootstrap.py file that I dropped in the same directory as buildout.cfg.

Then I try to run as follows:
"Python bootstrap.py setuptools --version = 26.1.1 zc.buildout -version = 2.5.3"

I have the error message:

Microsoft Windows [version 10.0.17134.407]
(c) 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C: \ WINDOWS \ system32> cd \

"C: > python bootstrap.py setuptools --version = 26.1.1 zc.buildout --version = 2.5.3
python: can not open file 'bootstrap.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory "

C: >

I said that I modified the buildout.cfg, version.cfg and base.cfg files with Plone 4.3.15

Thank you in advance for your help

Hello everyone
I also tried: "python bootstrap.py -c buildout.cfg setuptools -version = 26.1.1 zc.buildout --version = 2.5.3"

The result is the same:
"C: > bootstrap.py python -c buildout.cfg setuptools --version = 26.1.1 zc.buildout --version = 2.5.3
python: can not open file 'bootstrap.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory "

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

That is not completely right.

First of all, you must be in the folder where your bootstrap.py lies in order to run python bootstrap.py .... Otherwise, you will get something like "file not found 'bootstrap.py'".

Second, the options to specify the setuptools and zc.buildout versions are not correct. Run python bootstrap.py --help to learn how these options are called.

Finally, the option values wil likely not be correctly understood. The bootstrap.py will likely recognize --<option>=<value> (with not intervening blanks) and --<option> <value>.

Actually, I was not in the folder of Plone43.
So I proceed so to have the help of the available options:

Microsoft Windows [version 10.0.17134.407]
(c) 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C: \ Users \ Purnata> cd \

C: > cd C: \ Plone43

C: \ Plone43> python bootstrap.py --help
File "bootstrap.py", line 7
<! DOCTYPE html>
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

C: \ Plone43>
Thanks in advance.

Something went wrong with the download of bootstrap.py. What you have is almost surely an HTML document -- likely the HTML view of the "github" page I have cited in a former message. You must download the bootstrap.py source text, not the HTML view. "github" will have some action to do this. Look around on the page to find it.

Thanks for your help.
I recovered a priori the good "bootstrap.py".
By putting myself in the "buildout.cfg" folder, I run "bootstrap.py".
I send you the result below.
"Microsoft Windows [version 10.0.17134.407]
C:\Users\Purnata>cd
C:>cd Plone43
C:\Plone43>python bootstrap.py --application-choice=setuptools
Traceback (most recent call last):&
File "bootstrap.py", line 176, in
sys.exit(main(sys.argv))
File "bootstrap.py", line 166, in main
dasboot = cls(choice=options.application_choice, no_interactive=options.no_interactive)
File "c:\users\purnata\appdata\local\temp\tmpavxfeu\mozboot\bootstrap.py", line 298, in init

File "c:\users\purnata\appdata\local\temp\tmpavxfeu\mozboot\windows.py", line 44, in init
NotImplementedError: Bootstrap support for Windows is under development. For now use MozillaBuild to set up a build environment on Windows. If you are testing Windows Bootstrap support, try export MOZ_WINDOWS_BOOTSTRAP=1
C:\Plone43>"

Please what am I missing?
Tank.

Sorry, I obviously did not use the right "bootstrap.py" script.
Here is the one on the GitHub page designated by Dieter (thanks).
The result:
"Microsoft Windows [version 10.0.17134.407]
C:\Users\Purnata>cd
C:>cd Plone43
C:\Plone43>python bootstrap.py --application-choice=setuptools
Usage: [DESIRED PYTHON FOR BUILDOUT] bootstrap.py [options]
Bootstraps a buildout-based project.
Simply run this script in a directory containing a buildout.cfg, using the
Python that you want bin/buildout to use.
Note that by using --find-links to point to local resources, you can keep
this script from going over the network.
bootstrap.py: error: no such option: --application-choice
C:\Plone43>"

What should I change?
In advance thank