How to set up the local environment for different Plone repositories

Continuing the discussion from Information for Interested GSoC Students:

Let's split this thread out.

I don't understand. I get each part separately but don't see the connection.

If you're working on Products.CMFPlone, you'd git clone it in your buildout's src directory.

What data are you extracting, and what content do you want to display?

@nctl144 let's continue the discussion here

Thank you so much for your response. So basically, I kind of get used to Plone environment through the Mastering Plone documentation and I want to move further to work on simple tasks listed on Products.CMFPlone. And the problem I am having is just about displaying the site on localhost.

The folder map I am having right now is

Based on what you are saying, should I just clone the repo to this "src" folder?

yes

Maybe start by telling me which issue you'd like to tackle.

Probably I am going to work on this issue first to get used to Plone development env https://github.com/plone/Products.CMFPlone/issues/602
But now I am still confusing about how it works, Zope is an example ...

Since many parts in the Mastering Plone documentation are deprecated and I have no idea how Plone is reorganized

The parts that I've seen that are maybe somewhat out of date are not that important (my impression, but haven't looked too closely).

"How it works" - maybe ask your question more specifically?

Re that issue, as Gil commented, the problem is likely in https://github.com/plone/plonetheme.barceloneta/ so in fact you don't need to git clone Products.CMFPlone as you were thinking above. You need to clone https://github.com/plone/plonetheme.barceloneta/ in src and work with that package.

In your place I would use the Unified Installer to get Plone set up, git clone plonetheme.barceloneta in src, then edit buildout.cfg to include your src/plonetheme.barceloneta directory in the "develop" setting, remove any version pins for it in *.cfg, re run buildout.

Get the unified installer from here https://plone.org/download/releases/5.0.7

Thank you so much for your help. I will try to go through your response and get back ASAP :slight_smile:

I am a little bit confused here. Do I need to remove all the version pins in all the cfg files and re run the build out? And then after that I still need to create a new website on localhost right?

You need to remove the version pin for the package you want to develop, in your case plonetheme.barceloneta. If you leave a version pin for it, buildout will use the egg from pypi.python.org instead of the code in src/plonetheme.barceloneta.

Before you do anything with plonetheme.barceloneta you should just run the unified installer, start Plone (bin/instance fg) and then browse to http://localhost:8080 and create a new Plone site. You should become familiar with using Plone before you start trying to develop for it...

Oh everything is clear now :slight_smile: Thank you for your help. I spent a lot of time last week trying to figure out how to install packages though... But since it is interesting to learn new things, it's worth :slight_smile:

Mr. Kim,

When I tried to build the package Product.CMFPlone, this error popped up when I ran the server. Do you know what is happening? I tried to Google that on Plone but nothing looks like it...

As you have mentioned, that task was probably out of date and not important. How do you think about this one https://github.com/plone/Products.CMFPlone/issues/1966

I didn't say anything about the other issue being out of date...? It would be helpful if you tested if the bug still exists. If it doesn't, comment so and close it, and that is helpful.

As for your other question, you need to provide your buildout.cfg.

Hi Mr.Kim,

This is my buildout.cfg

############################################
#
# Buildout Configuration File for Plone
# -------------------------------------
#
# ALWAYS back up all Plone/Zope data and components
# before changing configuration.
#
# Running "bin/buildout" will update your installation,
# installing missing components as necessary.
#
# This will update the add-on products you've added in the eggs= lines.
# This will not, however, upgrade Plone itself (or anything else you've
# pinned with a version specification). To upgrade Plone itself, see the
# comments in "Plone Component Versions".
#
# Tutorial instructions for using zc.buildout for
# configuration management are available at:
# http://plone.org/documentation/tutorial/buildout
# Full details at http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zc.buildout
#

[buildout]
# Plone Component Versions
# ------------------------
# This version of the Unified Installer has the components of Plone 5
# preloaded so that it can install without an Internet connection.
# If you want to update, uncomment the "http://..." line below,
# edit it to point to the current version URL, comment out the
# "versions.cfg" line and run "bin/buildout" while attached to the
# Internet. Generally, you only want to do that as part of a planned migration.
# Note that if you are updating components, you should also check the versions
# section at the end of this file, since recipes or components other than
# those of Zope and Plone may need updating at the same time.
#
extends =
    base.cfg
    versions.cfg
#    http://dist.plone.org/release/5.0.7/versions.cfg

# If you change your Plone version, you'll also need to update
# the repository link below.
find-links +=
    http://dist.plone.org/release/5.0.7

# If you try to start Zope as root, it will change user id to run as
# the effective user specified here. This user id must own the var directory
# of your buildout.
effective-user = nguyenlam
# This user will own the rest of the installation, and should be used to
# run buildout.
buildout-user = nguyenlam
# A flag to tell the Unified Installer whether or not to document sudo use.
need-sudo = no

# Eggs
# ----
# Add an indented line to the eggs section for any Python
# eggs or packages you wish to include in your Plone instance.
#
# Note that versions may be specified here or in the [versions]
# section below. You should always specify versions that you know
# are compatible with the Plone release and at an acceptable
# development level.
#
# If you update to a later version of Plone, remove the hotfix.
#
eggs =
    Plone
    Pillow
    Products.PloneHotfix20160830
    Products.PloneHotfix20161129

# ZCML Slugs
# ----------
# Some eggs need ZCML slugs to tell Zope to
# use them. This is increasingly rare.
zcml =
#    plone.reload

# Development Eggs
# ----------------
# You can use paster to create "development eggs" to
# develop new products/themes. Put these in the src/
# directory.
# You will also need to add the egg names in the
# eggs section above, and may also need to add them
# to the zcml section.
#
# Provide the *paths* to the eggs you are developing here:
develop =
#    src/my.package
    src/Products.CMFPlone

# var Directory
# -------------
# Sets the target directory for the "var" components of the install such as
# database and log files.
#
var-dir=${buildout:directory}/var

# Backup Directory
# ----------------
# Sets the target directory for the bin/backup and bin/snapshotbackup
# commands. Default is inside this project's var directory, but ideally
# this should be on a separate volume or backup server.
#
backups-dir=${buildout:var-dir}

# Initial User
# ------------
# This is the user id and password that will be used to create the initial
# user id that will allow you to log in and create a Plone site. This only
# sets the initial password; it will not allow you to change an already
# existing password. If you change the admin password via the web interface,
# the one below will no longer be valid.
# If you find yourself locked out of your Zope/Python installation, you may
# add an emergency user via "bin/plonectl adduser".
user=admin:admin

# Debug Options
# -------------
# Start Zope/Plone instances in "fg" mode to turn on debug mode;
# this will dramatically slow Plone.
#
# Add-on developers should turn deprecation warnings on
deprecation-warnings = off
# change verbose-security to "on" for useful security errors while developing
verbose-security = off

# Parts Specification
#--------------------
# Specifies the components that should be included in the buildout.
# Most are defined in the base.cfg extension; you may add your
# own if you need them at the end of this file.
parts =
    instance
    repozo
    backup
    zopepy
    unifiedinstaller

# Major Parts
# ----------------------
# These common parts make use of sane base settings from
# base.cfg. To customize a part, just add whatever options
# you need. Read base.cfg for common settings.

[instance]
<= instance_base
recipe = plone.recipe.zope2instance
http-address = 8080

# Versions Specification
# ----------------------
# Version information supplied here will "pin" Python packages to a particular
# version number, even when you use the "newest" flag running buildout.
# Specifying versions for all packages is a good idea and can prevent
# accidental changes when you add new packages to your buildout.
# Note that versions specified here will override those specified earlier
# in the configuration, including those from the Plone and Zope version
# config files.
#
[versions]
# Use the setuptools and zc.buildout versions that are
# available in our Python environment.
setuptools =
zc.buildout =

Pillow = 3.4.2

Products.DocFinderTab = 1.0.5
Products.PloneHotfix20160830 = 1.3
Products.PloneHotfix20161129 = 1.2
bobtemplates.plone = 1.0.5
buildout.sanitycheck = 1.0.2
collective.checkdocs = 0.2
collective.recipe.backup = 3.0.0
mr.bob = 0.1.2
pkginfo = 1.4.1
plone.recipe.unifiedinstaller = 4.3.2
requests-toolbelt = 0.7.0
zest.pocompile = 1.4

# Required by:
# Jinja2==2.8
MarkupSafe = 0.23

# Required by:
# clint==0.5.1
args = 0.1.0

# Required by:
# twine==1.8.1
clint = 0.5.1

# Required by:
# zest.releaser==6.8
colorama = 0.3.7

And here is the Traceback of the error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/nguyenlam/Plone/zinstance/parts/instance/bin/interpreter", line 280, in <module>
    exec(compile(__file__f.read(), __file__, "exec"))
  File "/Users/nguyenlam/Plone/buildout-cache/eggs/Zope2-2.13.26-py2.7.egg/Zope2/Startup/run.py", line 76, in <module>
    run()
  File "/Users/nguyenlam/Plone/buildout-cache/eggs/Zope2-2.13.26-py2.7.egg/Zope2/Startup/run.py", line 22, in run
    starter.prepare()
  File "/Users/nguyenlam/Plone/buildout-cache/eggs/Zope2-2.13.26-py2.7.egg/Zope2/Startup/__init__.py", line 92, in prepare
    self.startZope()
  File "/Users/nguyenlam/Plone/buildout-cache/eggs/Zope2-2.13.26-py2.7.egg/Zope2/Startup/__init__.py", line 268, in startZope
    Zope2.startup()
  File "/Users/nguyenlam/Plone/buildout-cache/eggs/Zope2-2.13.26-py2.7.egg/Zope2/__init__.py", line 47, in startup
    _startup()
  File "/Users/nguyenlam/Plone/buildout-cache/eggs/Zope2-2.13.26-py2.7.egg/Zope2/App/startup.py", line 120, in startup
    load_zcml()
  File "/Users/nguyenlam/Plone/buildout-cache/eggs/Zope2-2.13.26-py2.7.egg/Zope2/App/startup.py", line 52, in load_zcml
    load_site()
  File "/Users/nguyenlam/Plone/buildout-cache/eggs/Zope2-2.13.26-py2.7.egg/Zope2/App/zcml.py", line 46, in load_site
    _context = xmlconfig.file(site_zcml)
  File "/Users/nguyenlam/Plone/buildout-cache/eggs/zope.configuration-3.7.4-py2.7.egg/zope/configuration/xmlconfig.py", line 649, in file
    include(context, name, package)
  File "/Users/nguyenlam/Plone/buildout-cache/eggs/zope.configuration-3.7.4-py2.7.egg/zope/configuration/xmlconfig.py", line 548, in include
    processxmlfile(f, context)
  File "/Users/nguyenlam/Plone/buildout-cache/eggs/zope.configuration-3.7.4-py2.7.egg/zope/configuration/xmlconfig.py", line 380, in processxmlfile
    parser.parse(src)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/xml/sax/expatreader.py", line 110, in parse
    xmlreader.IncrementalParser.parse(self, source)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/xml/sax/xmlreader.py", line 123, in parse
    self.feed(buffer)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/xml/sax/expatreader.py", line 213, in feed
    self._parser.Parse(data, isFinal)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/xml/sax/expatreader.py", line 365, in end_element_ns
    self._cont_handler.endElementNS(pair, None)
  File "/Users/nguyenlam/Plone/buildout-cache/eggs/zope.configuration-3.7.4-py2.7.egg/zope/configuration/xmlconfig.py", line 359, in endElementNS
    self.context.end()
  File "/Users/nguyenlam/Plone/buildout-cache/eggs/zope.configuration-3.7.4-py2.7.egg/zope/configuration/config.py", line 558, in end
    self.stack.pop().finish()
  File "/Users/nguyenlam/Plone/buildout-cache/eggs/zope.configuration-3.7.4-py2.7.egg/zope/configuration/config.py", line 706, in finish
    actions = self.handler(context, **args)
  File "/Users/nguyenlam/Plone/buildout-cache/eggs/Zope2-2.13.26-py2.7.egg/OFS/metaconfigure.py", line 46, in loadProducts
    xmlconfig.include(_context, zcml, package=product)
  File "/Users/nguyenlam/Plone/buildout-cache/eggs/zope.configuration-3.7.4-py2.7.egg/zope/configuration/xmlconfig.py", line 548, in include
  File "/Users/nguyenlam/Plone/buildout-cache/eggs/zope.configuration-3.7.4-py2.7.egg/zope/configuration/xmlconfig.py", line 380, in processxmlfile
    parser.parse(src)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/xml/sax/expatreader.py", line 110, in parse
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/xml/sax/xmlreader.py", line 123, in parse
    self.feed(buffer)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/xml/sax/expatreader.py", line 213, in feed
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/xml/sax/expatreader.py", line 365, in end_element_ns
  File "/Users/nguyenlam/Plone/buildout-cache/eggs/zope.configuration-3.7.4-py2.7.egg/zope/configuration/xmlconfig.py", line 359, in endElementNS
    self.context.end()
  File "/Users/nguyenlam/Plone/buildout-cache/eggs/zope.configuration-3.7.4-py2.7.egg/zope/configuration/config.py", line 558, in end
  File "/Users/nguyenlam/Plone/buildout-cache/eggs/zope.configuration-3.7.4-py2.7.egg/zope/configuration/config.py", line 706, in finish
    parser.parse(src)
    self.feed(buffer)
    self.context.end()
    parser.parse(src)
    self.feed(buffer)
    self.context.end()
    parser.parse(src)
    self.feed(buffer)
    self.context.end()
    parser.parse(src)
    self.feed(buffer)
    self.context.end()
    parser.parse(src)
    self.feed(buffer)
    self.context.end()
    parser.parse(src)
    self.feed(buffer)
    self.context.end()
    parser.parse(src)
    self.feed(buffer)
    self.context.end()
    parser.parse(src)
    self.feed(buffer)
    self.context.end()
  File "/Users/nguyenlam/Plone/buildout-cache/eggs/zope.configuration-3.7.4-py2.7.egg/zope/configuration/config.py", line 705, in finish
    args = toargs(context, *self.argdata)
  File "/Users/nguyenlam/Plone/buildout-cache/eggs/zope.configuration-3.7.4-py2.7.egg/zope/configuration/config.py", line 1397, in toargs
    args[str(name)] = field.fromUnicode(s)
  File "/Users/nguyenlam/Plone/buildout-cache/eggs/zope.configuration-3.7.4-py2.7.egg/zope/configuration/fields.py", line 137, in fromUnicode
    value = self.context.resolve(name)
  File "/Users/nguyenlam/Plone/buildout-cache/eggs/zope.configuration-3.7.4-py2.7.egg/zope/configuration/config.py", line 198, in resolve
    return __import__(mname+'.'+oname, *_import_chickens)
  File "/Users/nguyenlam/Plone/buildout-cache/eggs/plone.app.upgrade-2.0.1-py2.7.egg/plone/app/upgrade/v40/__init__.py", line 2, in <module>
    import betas
  File "/Users/nguyenlam/Plone/buildout-cache/eggs/plone.app.upgrade-2.0.1-py2.7.egg/plone/app/upgrade/v40/betas.py", line 3, in <module>
    from Products.CMFPlone.CatalogTool import BLACKLISTED_INTERFACES
  File "/Users/nguyenlam/Plone/zinstance/src/Products.CMFPlone/Products/CMFPlone/CatalogTool.py", line 19, in <module>
    from Products.CMFCore.indexing import processQueue
zope.configuration.xmlconfig.ZopeXMLConfigurationError: File "/Users/nguyenlam/Plone/zinstance/parts/instance/etc/site.zcml", line 16.2-16.23
    ZopeXMLConfigurationError: File "/Users/nguyenlam/Plone/buildout-cache/eggs/Products.ATContentTypes-2.2.13-py2.7.egg/Products/ATContentTypes/configure.zcml", line 18.2-18.44
    ZopeXMLConfigurationError: File "/Users/nguyenlam/Plone/buildout-cache/eggs/plone.app.collection-1.1.7-py2.7.egg/plone/app/collection/configure.zcml", line 9.2-9.45
    ZopeXMLConfigurationError: File "/Users/nguyenlam/Plone/buildout-cache/eggs/plone.app.querystring-1.3.17-py2.7.egg/plone/app/querystring/configure.zcml", line 11.2-11.42
    ZopeXMLConfigurationError: File "/Users/nguyenlam/Plone/buildout-cache/eggs/plone.app.registry-1.5-py2.7.egg/plone/app/registry/configure.zcml", line 12.4-12.34
    ZopeXMLConfigurationError: File "/Users/nguyenlam/Plone/buildout-cache/eggs/plone.app.registry-1.5-py2.7.egg/plone/app/registry/browser/configure.zcml", line 6.4-6.43
    ZopeXMLConfigurationError: File "/Users/nguyenlam/Plone/buildout-cache/eggs/plone.app.z3cform-1.2.3-py2.7.egg/plone/app/z3cform/configure.zcml", line 10.2-10.41
    ZopeXMLConfigurationError: File "/Users/nguyenlam/Plone/buildout-cache/eggs/plone.app.widgets-2.0.7-py2.7.egg/plone/app/widgets/configure.zcml", line 12.2-12.41
    ZopeXMLConfigurationError: File "/Users/nguyenlam/Plone/zinstance/src/Products.CMFPlone/Products/CMFPlone/configure.zcml", line 28.2-28.86
    ZopeXMLConfigurationError: File "/Users/nguyenlam/Plone/buildout-cache/eggs/plone.app.upgrade-2.0.1-py2.7.egg/plone/app/upgrade/configure.zcml", line 7.4-7.30
    ImportError: No module named indexing

@nctl144, I've formatted your buildout file as a code block. In the future, please do this as well. Otherwise, the comments show up as markdown headings and the file is nearly impossible to read.