Why Discourse was chosen instead of PloneBoard?

Hi guys

Why Discourse was chosen instead of PloneBoard?

My question is that I require installing a discussion forum for user support in a Plone site but it seems very strange that the Plone community not use the PloneBoard product, but the Discourse software as a support tool.

At present it is not recommended to use PloneBoard?

1 Like

Because PloneBoard is dead since years.

-aj

I'm actually glad that the Plone community is mature enough to stay away from the "not invented here" syndrome. That said it would be great to use things like this as inspiration for building something on par or better in Plone.

1 Like

personally I think we are little too quick to jump onto the "lets use this other cool thing" given that discourse email replies STILL DOESN'T WORK!.

1 Like

I don't know the details but it was choice to disable email replies because they couldn't get the configuration right or it wasn't stable--I'm not sure.

One has to admit some often the own software solutions are just not good enough. Eating your own dog food is a great idea but due to lack or resources it is often not feasible bringing something into an enterprise-ready state. PloneBoard looked like crap and it was partly crap...no need for not using a better and shiny solution.

The fact that Plone community is using external services instead of reinventing the well every time is good (==mature developers). It's the same for other kind of services, like newsletter (you are using mailchimp, right? :smile: ).

Still, I don't think that PloneBoard is broken: is an old software and will never provide features like other dedicated services (like Discourse) but it works and is some environment it could be still a good choice.

1 Like