What's the recommended way to upgrade 6.0.x backend and frontend?

Plone6 installation and upgrade is very different from the previous plone5.

I can't find clear steps on how to upgrade backend & volto, after install plone6 follow this doc: Install Plone from its packages – Install — Plone Documentation v6.0

I just upgrade backend from 6.0.4 to 6.0.5 by replace constraints.txt && make build-backend, but I'm not sure this is a best way.

Next, what's the What is recommended step to upgrade frontend?

1 Like

@om1221 thanks for reporting. We don't have bugfix upgrade guides in the docs. That is not good. Here is what I found on plone.org:

and on documentation:

For the Volto frontend, I am not sure. Here is what we have in documentation, which does not provide enough help, but at least you will know what changed:

@mauritsvanrees @sneridagh what can we do to provide instructions for upgrading within a bugfix release?

@sneridagh also note that we still have a mention of LTS in the docs. Burn it with :fire:!

Hello is there any documentation for these steps ? For example, i d like to upgrade for 6.0.9 to 6.0.11 thanks

@gnafou

You're absolutely right, there is no real documentation for an upgrade.
But I remember that there was a link somewhere with little tips and tricks from tiberiuichim which described how to upgrade Volto.
I've already done the approach for the backend with edit constraints.txt && make build-backend and it works.

But I also noticed a reference where this topic was mentioned in a YouTube video in "The Plone Newsroom" ... maybe only in German.

The basis for this is the creation of the boilerplate with:
pipx run cookiecutter gh:collective/cookiecutter-plone-starter

This framework always builds the latest Plone and Volto versions. Personally, I always build my installation with make install && make build-images && docker compose down && docker compose up -d
I use my own docker-compose.yml file without SQL, nginx and traefik and only build the backend and frontend.

The approach that was also mentioned in the video and that I have already followed before is to simply consistently outsource all settings or components into their own add-ons. So an additional addon that was not already created when the boilerplate was created.

This means you can create the latest Plone and Volto versions with pipx run cookiecutter gh:collective/cookiecutter-plone-starter and then "just" copy your addons to the right place and then register them correctly. Then you just build your images with the same names and docker-compose.yml as the old version and can therefore also access your content in the Docker volume.

In addition, you then of course have to upgrade the Plone database to the new version via the backend and you're done.

I also had to invest a lot of work to outsource everything to the add-ons, but I think it's definitely worth it in the medium term.

That's also something I miss a bit here in the forum, a section that goes beyond the Plone documentation and Plone training and deals with the basic installation and upgrade and helps with questions about how to register addons correctly, how to add icons and fonts via npm or yarn and accesses them or that you have to edit the .gitignore to exclude your additional addon there.

I know that if you have to fight through all such problems yourself, the learning success is greater, but sometimes it would be nicer to just get a quick answer to a perhaps trivial question :wink:

3 Likes