Volto on an existing site

Also for others who read this thread and are curious about Volto material being available:

The more 'generic' high level concepts about Volto and introduction/functional/marketing material is something that has been become relevant in 2020 with the preparations for Plone 6 and the maturity of Volto and is has been and is being worked on by the community for the last 4-6 months.

For last year's Plone Conference (in 2019) and already before (previous Volto Sprints to onboard participants) @sneridagh @robgietema and others have created training material for the 2 days training before that Conference:

These are all three available on training.plone.org You can work through the material online in your own time, they are not only meant for a 'class setting'. They will give you a good overview of the concepts and how Volto is structured

The Volto trainings are not yet as complete or refined as for example the Mastering Plone training, because that one has been running for years and years and has gotten little/more of incremental improvements. In general the material on training.plone.org is at least reviewed and updated/tested every year before it runs at the Plone Conference. Volto is just too new for this, last year we had the first 'training round' which was great. I attended and can really recommend the Hands-on one from Victor, but you need the skills teached in the previous two as well.

A lot has been added to Volto this summer, for example the architecture of 'add'-ons', editing of dexterity content types, more block features. Also this year the editor experience has received significant updates with a collapsible sidebar, I hope I describe it correctly. All this really cool stuff still has to be first understood by more people outside the developers who have and also documented and added to the new training material.

Also: There is a 'plone6' branch on the Github repository which contains all training material from training.plone.org: https://github.com/plone/training/commits/plone6/mastering-plone where from the first chapters onward the training is rewritten to use Volto for the frontend parts of the explanation. but this is still (a lot of work) in progress, where also the newer Volto concepts might need to be reviewed and updated where applicable.

4 Likes