Some plone instances failing to launch while others work? [Resolved]

I have a number of plone 5.0.4 and 5.0.5 instances that were running before I shut my server down in a controlled manner for a building wide power outage. Some of my instances launch fine, but some of them now will not start.
Launching with 'plonectl start' yields: 'ImportError: No module named recipe.egg'
It appears to by trying to import zc.recipe.egg.

These instances have their own python2.7 installations.

If I try to run buildout I also get an error message, but this time about not finding 'DateTime'. I can find the egg for DateTime.

Instances that run and those that don't both seem to have zc.recipe.egg-2.0.3-py2.7.egg in the eggs directory of the builduout-cache.

I would appreciate any ideas people have for resurrecting these sites.

At this point my best idea is to install a new plone instance of the same version and then just swap the Database, since this appears to be a problem with the installation not the database.

Thanks,
Jonathan

My idea of installing a new plone instance and swapping in the old database and blobstorage appears to have worked. However, I would really like to figure out what happened. Any ideas?
Jonathan

What is the difference between the buildout configuration files?

To debug launch problems you should run with fg e.g. see https://docs.plone.org/manage/troubleshooting/basic.html#id1

I would never run buildout while trying to figure out why something isn't running that was running before... running buildout in such circumstances is like loading a gun and pointing at your head... not going to end well :slight_smile:

That's the odd thing. All but one have the same buildout.cfg (except for the port number and initial admin password). One of the ones that stayed running had a couple of non-default packages, but others that worked were plain vanilla. All the ones that didn't launch were plain vanilla. I am suspicious of some non-obvious file or file-system damage. I got no fdisk warnings.

The errors were the same in fg and using plain start.

Jonathan

Yeah, you're correct, but I hoped that rerunning buildout might correct a potentially bad file reference...In this case no-harm done as I resurrected the sites using an alternative method.