Possible Error in bobtemplates.plone docs

I was trying to create a package using bobtemplates.plone following the commands as shown in the documentation here as well as the README.rst file on GitHub as so:
mrbob bobtemplates.plone:addon -O collective.foo

This was giving me an error as:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Users/meshde/Plone/zinstance/bin/mrbob", line 11, in
sys.exit(main())
File "/Users/meshde/Plone/zinstance/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mrbob/cli.py", line 155, in main
defaults=defaults)
File "/Users/meshde/Plone/zinstance/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mrbob/configurator.py", line 138, in init
self.template_dir, self.is_tempdir = parse_template(template)
File "/Users/meshde/Plone/zinstance/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mrbob/configurator.py", line 92, in parse_template
path = resolve_dotted_path(template_name)
File "/Users/meshde/Plone/zinstance/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mrbob/configurator.py", line 39, in resolve_dotted_path
module = import_module(module_name)
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/importlib/init.py", line 37, in import_module
import(name)
ImportError: No module named plone

Then I ran the command as given in the Create a Package documentation
mrbob bobtemplates:plone_addon -O collective.foo
It works!

So is there a mistake in the documentation or did I go wrong somewhere?

NOTE: I installed mr.bob and bobtemplates.plone using the virtualenv method as shown in the docs.

Best to file the issue in the repo then

According to the Mastering Plone Development Tutorial, in the current version of bobtemplates.plone the command is
mrbob bobtemplates.plone:addon -O collective.foo.

And before version 2.0.0, the command was
mrbob bobtemplates:plone_addon -O collective.foo

So the problem is not in the documentation, but rather it's that pip install bobtemplates.plone installs an older version of the package

1 Like

I'll file an issue on the repo regarding this.

Thanks. FYI, I meant this issue tracker: https://github.com/plone/training/issues

Looking at https://pypi.python.org/pypi/bobtemplates.plone this could be because the latest version released on pypi is 3.0.0a3 (an alpha version) so pip wouldn't install it; it would install the latest production release (non beta, non alpha).