No author view in Volto?

Just checking... it seems there is no view equivalent to mysite/author/{id} for Volto.
It seems I'll need to implement one if I need such a thing. The Volto project I'm working on will require member profiles.

1 Like

From convo with @sneridagh and @tiberiuichim in Slack...
There's "infrastructure" for this in the Plone restapi project and incoming infrastructure to support users created with extended userschemas.
see: Add @userschema endpoint for getting the user schema. by sneridagh · Pull Request #707 · plone/plone.restapi · GitHub

So what's left is to register a route and view in Volto.

Also check with @erral, see Dynamic user information form and a route for it · Issue #2912 · plone/volto · GitHub

We have a branch with the userschema based form changes here GitHub - plone/volto at erral-userschema-based-user-form @nileshgulia1 is also interested on working on it, so we can do it there.

The PR for p.restapi is the one you mentioned, which has some failing tests related to documentation changes in Plone 5.2, which I am looking into right now.

2 Likes

Just checking in regarding the status with author view today.

1. Is it available out of the box on Volto now?
  2. What are the steps to customising it?
  3. What if I customise the fields on a user profile?

This isn't an ideal test, but I tried visiting the paths equivalent to classic plone on Volto:
https://demo.plone.org/author/plone-6-demo-site and
https://demo.plone.org/author/admin

for both users I got a site error.

It looks like I'll need to go back to the methods that were used with Volto previously.

It looks like the @users rest api endpoint is where I will need to start:

(feels a bit like deja vu, 2 years later).

Oh wow.... I've been here before: (at least it took less than an hour to get back)

I think the next issue I'll be dealing with is getting the user portrait into my custom author view:

@pigeonflight we looked at these missing features recently and made some notes if it helps. The quote wasn't accepted so we don't have the money to do that work yet.

User/Groups schemas in volto

• This is not yet done Use the Plone schema to build the user add form plone/volto#4018
    • admin user form, registration form and user self service profile are hard coded.
  • There is a PR - User Control Panel improvements plone/volto#4572
    • Admins can edit other users profiles (including custom schema)
    • Users can edit their own profiles (including custom schema)
      • It doesn't talk about Group property editing. Group properties can't be edited TTW in Classic either
  • Changing user schemas (Member field editing) isn't in Volto
  • Volto pages don't display the user who created the page on them anywhere to link to
  • Comment headings aren't linked to user profiles

Volto member-search

• currently plone user search is very limited without being able to filter on properties. volto has no member search
    • @@member-search - lets you search by login, email or name
    • links to either user specified homepage or author page
      • so this lets you use homepage to have a custom profile page if you want
  • there is no batching so can be a performance problem
    • this is a problem all the way down to the PAS level? restapi has a limit param
  • restapi limits search to managers only. so would need to set it on a different permission
  • restapi lets you search on username only. might need to extend this
    • we could do github style with text field filters? so we don't need to change the restapi as much?
    • then out backend plugin could respond but built in doesn't have to support it?

Member Directory/public profiles. Secure/Sensitive fields

• Plone Classic doesnt show custom properties - only link to /author page or homepage if set. - (currently /author/xxxx doesn't have user properties) and not sure volto has an author page at all?
  • Volto doesn't seem to have even author page or ways to link to a user. Not sure you can show the author of a page or links from comment authors?
  • Proposal:
    • Add a custom user profile page
      • Not sure if its easy enough to make it a editable template? Maybe better to just have it hard coded?
    • Add in links to this page (either by overriding homepage or author page?)
    • Extend the Plone user schema to allow control over showing fields
      • Plone Classic only has two exisiting options for user properties - Where should this field be shown Does not apply to username or to email fields [ ] On Registration [ ] In User Profile
      • Read only [x] User editable. keep same default as now ie user can edit it.
      • Secure = Only admins can see this. [x] On Control Panel
      • Sensitive = Only Users can see their own (maybe including admins?) [ ] On Public Profile (and change user profile to mean user private profile)

Thanks @djay,
We're building a user profile, onboarded a react dev recently and he's making progress on the @author view.
Will point out this thread to him.

In a related topic, I wrote a blog post about adding Author information to the content endpoint.

1 Like

@ericof why not a PR instead of a blog post? Volto feature parity to plone classic isn't there and the list of what's missing isn't getting shorter if we don't at least attempt to do them as PRs instead of private branches.
For example we are working on a PR for TUS upload integration which was always in classic (well it's supposed to be there but apparently currently broken in classic right now).
siteinfo/logo/favicon I know others are working on a PR. Using the addon to get back this basic plone functionality is a real shame.

2 Likes

Awesome blog! And powered by Volto, nonetheless.

There will be a PR when I also solve the Catalog metadata issue (which would make it also work for listings)

1 Like