Must Plone groups be persistent in acl_users?

I have written a PAS plugin that connects through PAS with Civirm.

The enumerateGroups() returns two groups Anlage 1 and Anlage 2. They exist as Civirm groups and we want to map them as Plone groups.

The Plone group control panel fails here:

Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 138, in publish
Module ZPublisher.mapply, line 77, in mapply
Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 48, in call_object
Module Products.CMFPlone.controlpanel.browser.usergroups_groupsoverview, line 35, in __call__
Module Products.CMFPlone.controlpanel.browser.usergroups_groupsoverview, line 57, in doSearch
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'getProperty'

The doSearch() implementation has these group data here:

(Pdb) pp inheritance_enabled_groups        
[{'groupid': u'Anlage2',
  'id': u'Anlage2',
  'pluginid': 'civicrm_helper',
  'principal_type': 'group',
  'title': u'(Group) Anlage2'},
 {'groupid': u'Anlage1',
  'id': u'Anlage1',
  'pluginid': 'civicrm_helper',
  'principal_type': 'group',
  'title': u'(Group) Anlage1'}]

and then tries to get the group from the acl_users folder by id.

(Pdb) acl
<PluggableAuthService at /plone/acl_users used for /plone>
(Pdb) print acl.getGroupById(groupId)
None
(Pdb) groupId
u'Anlage2'

This fails of course because the groups are only transient and do not exist in Plone directly.

Is there a way to inject arbitrary groups into PAS without having them as a persistent group inside Plone?

-aj

I don't think so. You'll need to implement a lot, though - ie getGroupById and properties support.

I think collective.anotherdynamicgroupsplugin (available in PyPI and GitHub) deals with similar issues.

If you do not want to access the group data on each request from its original source, you have to store it somewhere. I think that's the nature of data if you need to work with it. pas.plugins.ldap does cache it using memcached, pas.plugins.authomatic writes a btree with most basic information (here users, but users and groups are very similar).

Yes, you are right here. The plugin must provide getGroupById() and return a GroupData object or something similar.