Location field in a PFG form

Hi,

I'm running a Plone 4.1.6 site with forms created with PloneFormGen 1.7.11. One of this forms is a registration form and I'd like it to contain a location field in order to know where the (new) members are coming from.

What do you advise for this?

Thanks in anticipation.

Maybe I was not precise enough: by "location" field, I mean something in the spirit of collective.geo that lets the user just type in the field e.g. its city which would be checked by a location on a map, and maybe automatically converted in latitude/longitude in order to make the input easier to deal with and to collect.

I haven't come across a field like that for PFG. Could you ask for city and state/province/region and country instead? You could also capture the IP address and use geolocation services on the web to guess their lat/long.

I haven't come across a field like that for PFG.

Sigh... Meanwhile, I found the EEA Geotags product which does exactly what I need but my problem is that my form is made with PFG and I don't see how I could make the two work together (see below).

Could you ask for city and state/province/region and country instead?

Rather for a city.

You could also capture the IP address and use geolocation services on
the web to guess their lat/long.

I see two problems with approach:

1. the use may be far from home when filling the form,
  2. I would prefer him to choose whether stipulate or not his location.

Because of my first comment, maybe the question now turns into "How could EEA Geotags and PFG be happy together?" or, if using EEA Geotags needs another tool for forms including its "Search" field (see Taskman — Think big, act small), "How could I migrate from PFG forms to this another tool?". Some advise?

If you're a developer you might look at the source code for PFG and see how it implements other types of fields:

I think you could just use one of the avalable pfg fields and use a javascript, if that is an option...

https://www.google.com/search?q=location+picker+jquery&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

1 Like