Javascript code entry for chat, step by step out there?

Hello,
I have read that I need to create a resource to use javascript elements. https://docs.plone.org/adapt-and-extend/theming/resourceregistry.html was the resource i found.

I am trying to paste in a chatbox script from livehelpnow.

I removed all the filtering and the source code saves to the index.html, but it has no impact.

This is the only script i need to use, and I am not a JS coder by any stretch.

Is there a step by step out there that I could follow to build a simple script for the front page that allows this chat to be added? Everything else about plone is working just fine, better than the current cms.

Also any primer tips for learning what I need to so when I read the resource pages I don't feel as if my brain has exploded? I want to learn this but man do I feel like I'm behind the curve.

If you maintain your own code and your own templates as part of your policy package then inject the related code on your own either inside the related template or as part of the viewlet. We use a viewlet to inject JS and CSS specific to a policy package like this:

<script>
        window.__define = window.define;
        window.__require = window.require;
        window.define = undefined;
        window.require = undefined;
    </script>
    <script type="text/javascript" tal:attributes="src string:$portal_url/++resource++onkopedia.policy/spin/spin.min.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" tal:attributes="src string:$portal_url/++resource++onkopedia.policy/clipboard/clipboard.min.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" tal:attributes="src string:$portal_url/++resource++onkopedia.policy/uploadify/jquery.uploadifive.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" tal:attributes="src string:$portal_url/++resource++onkopedia.policy/jquery.qtip/jquery.qtip.min.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" tal:attributes="src string:$portal_url/++resource++onkopedia.policy/selectize.js/dist/js/standalone/selectize.min.js " > </script>
    <script type="text/javascript" tal:attributes="src string:$portal_url/++resource++onkopedia.policy/jquery-ui-git.js" > </script>
    <script type="text/javascript" tal:attributes="src string:$portal_url/++resource++onkopedia.policy/jquery.form-validator/jquery.form-validator.min.js" > </script>
    <script type="text/javascript" tal:attributes="src string:$portal_url/++resource++onkopedia.policy/local.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" tal:attributes="src string:$portal_url/++resource++collective.glossary/tooltip.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" tal:attributes="src string:$portal_url/++resource++collective.glossary/jquery.glossarize.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" tal:attributes="src string:$portal_url/++resource++collective.glossary/main.js"></script>
    <script>
        window.define = window.__define;
        window.require = window.__require;
        window.__define = undefined;
        window.__require = undefined;
    </script>

For the resource registries...they are broken-by-design, having tons of issues. Yes, RR are still recommended by the Plone core developers but using them is error-prone, time consuming and usually it ends with a lot of frustration. Avoiding them altogether is the way to go for us.

First thank you.

Second. Let me see if I understand. I take that code, open up the viewlets. Just add that to the viewlet on the page i want to use my js.

Then enter my js on the body of the page.

and that makes it work?

Sorry if that is a poor question. I am not a coder, just trying to learn and build on the fly.

What’s the script and is there documentation for how to use It? Do you need it to work on your entire site or just one page?

Thank you for the response The only requirement for me to get this moved forward is that it is on the landing page.. I would like to make it available on several portions of the site later, engage more users if possible.

All the documentation the chat company provides is to put this inside the tags.

The script is

I have got that in my index.html file for the theme, as well as in the body of the content page I am using as the landing page.

The code remains after save and re-deit so i think its not being filtered or purified.

The page is at help.vibe.direct.

Sorry about the look I am still trying to learn CSS and responsive pages too. I have literally gone from not knowing anything to lamp stack install, plone beginner and css beginner. Trying to learn this as much as possible as fast as possible. Plone seems really solid compared to our current kb.

Your reply doesn’t show the script source. You will have to figure out how to mark the source with markdown so it shows up as source code, as opposed to being interpreted by the forum software. Or give us a link to the chat software site. When we added Gitter chat to Plone.org it was pretty easy.