I've found new ways for me to crash my Plone site :)

I've found three new ways to crash a Plone site (my special talent lately). I'm posting so others can learn.

  1. when setting up a plone site, if you put a space in the Path identifier the site will be created,
    but nothing really works right (too many issues to mention). I know above the Path Identifier entry box it states "No special characters are allowed."
    but I didn't think a space was. This could be mitigated by adding "no spaces" to the statement. Best solution: don't allow names with spaces to be saved.

  2. in the registration form, removing any of the standard entries crashes the site. Again, could be mitigated with simple admonition, not to remove the
    greyed out boxes. Best solution, don't allow them to be deleted.

  3. working with Mosaic, all seemed fine, expect when I went back the next day, the site was shutdowns
    and this error was in the log: (I was testing Mosaic and you can see the reference to "standard tiles" I assume that is Mosaic.

2016-12-02T20:52:53 ERROR Zope.SiteErrorLog 1480711973.560.300607266969 http://wayne.lwhsboosters.org/Wayne/front-page/@@plone.app.standardtiles.existingcontent/d13a4dad247f4b21b59a51dad0ece49b
Traceback (innermost last):
Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 127, in publish
Module ZPublisher.BaseRequest, line 508, in traverse
Module ZPublisher.BaseRequest, line 344, in traverseName
Module plone.tiles.tile, line 77, in publishTraverse
Module plone.tiles.tile, line 51, in getitem
Module plone.tiles.tile, line 101, in url
Module zope.traversing.browser.absoluteurl, line 33, in absoluteURL
Module zope.traversing.browser.absoluteurl, line 81, in call
Module plone.tiles.absoluteurl, line 75, in str
Module plone.tiles.data, line 109, in get
Module plone.app.blocks.layoutbehavior, line 360, in contains
Module plone.app.blocks.layoutbehavior, line 354, in get
Module plone.memoize.view, line 47, in memogetter
Module plone.app.blocks.layoutbehavior, line 348, in getitem
Module plone.jsonserializer.deserializer.converters, line 30, in schema_compatible
Module zope.component._api, line 107, in getMultiAdapter
Module zope.component._api, line 120, in queryMultiAdapter
Module zope.component.registry, line 238, in queryMultiAdapter
Module zope.interface.adapter, line 532, in queryMultiAdapter
Module plone.jsonserializer.deserializer.converters, line 48, in schema_dict_converter
Module plone.jsonserializer.deserializer.converters, line 30, in schema_compatible
Module zope.component._api, line 107, in getMultiAdapter
Module zope.component._api, line 120, in queryMultiAdapter
Module zope.component.registry, line 238, in queryMultiAdapter
Module zope.interface.adapter, line 532, in queryMultiAdapter
Module plone.jsonserializer.deserializer.converters, line 67, in from_unicode_converter
Module zope.schema._field, line 322, in fromUnicode
Module zope.schema._bootstrapfields, line 183, in validate
Module zope.schema._field, line 338, in _validate
ConstraintNotSatisfied: (u'a5ec510b4f094ab9a7e2a093cde5f1f8', 'content_uid')

Also, on restart I got this report I've never seen (however the restart has the site working again:

[lwhsboosters@web516 bin]$ ./instance start
. Unlinking stale socket /home/lwhsboosters/webapps/wayne/zinstance/var/instance/zopectlsock; sleep 1
No handlers could be found for logger "root"
.
daemon process started, pid=24336
[lwhsboosters@web516 bin]$

====================

for (1) and (2) please file separate bug at https://github.com/plone/Products.CMFPlone/issues

for (3) I doubt this crashes a site in a way the server stops. Usually one gets a traceback in the log and a 500 response. But the process keeps running. Please check the syslog as well, I had cases with kernel OOM kills while in the zope log was nothing but old tracebacks.

Spaces ought to work. They don't, but they really ought to. That they don't may be indicative of string parsing problems somewhere, bugs hidden by code paths not properly exercised.

I agree that 3) should not shutdown the site, but otherwise it's probably a real Mosaic bug. (It looks like an "existing content tile" has reference to a removed page and does not have exception handling for that. Yet, I think,nowadays that should only show a note of "broken tile", not crash a complete page.)

Hi, I've filed the 2 bug reports. If someone shows me where to file Mosaic bugs, I'd be glad to do.

Thanks for the help confirming these two bugs

Done, thanks for the link