Installing Plone with just pip (without buildout)

As @jensens noticed yesterday, it might be a time to get rid of z3c.autoinclude. It's better to be explicit in including configuration. And as a bonus, we are closer to pip compatibility.

As an update, the current status:

• Plone 5.2 installs and starts fine with pip when Zope configuration and instance scripts are provided somehow and site.zcml has <meta:provides feature="disable-autoinclude" />

• Some time ago, I forked plonectl https://github.com/datakurre/plonectl from plonecli and extracted instance script from plone.recipe.zope2instance; Unfortunately, that was before WSGI, so currently plonectl is only able to start ZServer based Plone 5.2 instances (installed with pip).

• A floating idea has been that plonecli could include or use code from plone.recipe.zope2instance for generating instance configuration without buildout. Or should that be also part of plonectl?

(For myself, we are very late in Python 3 game, but we do have Nix-based Zope instance configuration generators waiting, also packaging Plone with Nix [pip style without buildout]. We'll go forward with my TxZServer and plonectl so I don't need to resolve WSGI related plone.recipe.zope2instance issues for pip.)

1 Like