Information for Interested GSoC Students

Welcome @nctl144. Yes please start a new topic and mention me @djay to ask questions about improved content listings.

Hi! There's the original user story and a lot of discussion for this at (WIP) hard to customise search/listings · Issue #239 · plone/plone.app.mosaic · GitHub and related tickets.

While we agree on the problem, me and Dylan may have a different views about the solution.

Thank you so much for your response, I will find out more information in the user story and get back to you if I have any other questions :slight_smile:

Remember, it's up to you to form the final version of idea and make your plan such that you stay motivated to finish the project. Yet, of course, you may ask comments for your drafts and we try to answer. It's good to have ambitious idea, but I believe, it's even better to have an idea, which includes time for QA like automated tests. So, design a minimal viable product at first and then add extra perks if you finish it too early :slight_smile:

Hi all, I am having a bunch of questions in my mind and getting demotivated somehow :disappointed: . (1) I want to know that does only Products.CMFPlone repo is concerned with the issues stated or any other too because I found the code related to an issue in my Plone directory which was created on installing Plone 5.0 and not in Products.CMFPlone directory which i cloned from my fork, so that i can know in which repo to make a PR to. (2) Moreover, in regression bugs, how can i compare a feature's code with that in version 4.3 or older as I've installed version 5.0 only yet. (3) Also, the issues aren't having labels according to the required skillset per issue becuase for a person like me new to the codebase & having knowledge of front-end skiils only(HTML, CSS, JS) won't be able to judge that if I would be able to solve this issue or not ?

@shivamluthra: Thanks for your questions. Aplogies for not being a bit more timely in getting back to you here. In general, asking questions quickly, before you get demotivated, is the best way to get unstuck. Don't worry, we do not expect that newcomers to our community and our software will magically know how to do everything. Asking questions frequently and quickly is the sign of a good learner. You've done the right thing by coming here to ask.

In answer to your first question, we use the issue tracker in Products.CMFPlone as the central reporting place for issues related to Plone, but the code related to any bug will most likely be in one of the other packages in the repository. Asking questions on individual bugs will help you to find the right place to look for a fix. You can use the github feature of using the @ sign in front of a user's username to address a question to a particular person. In general, the user who reported an issue would be a good first person to ask such questions.

For regression bugs, where you want to compare various versions of Plone, each release has a corresponding tag so you can check out a given version of Plone using git. It might be better, though, to use the installer for a given version of Plone to compare. That way you are assured you will get a fully working system without needing to spend time changing buildout configuration. You can install multiple versions of Plone on the same machine without them interfering with each-other. On our plone.org website you can find recent versions of the installers as well as a link to many many older releases.

Finally, to answer your third question, there is a page explaining most of the names for the various tags in the issue tracker written in our documentation on contributing to Plone. I think for a person knowing front-end skills, you'll want to check out issues tagged with 99 tags: UX .... There are a number of tags for Accessibility, our visual editor (TinyMCE), Integrator/Themer and Site Administrator. Being UX tags, most will have something to do with the visual interactions in Plone, and would likely contain work requiring front-end skills.

Do not be concerned if you can't just "fix it right up" without some help. The point of this program is to help you learn how to contribute, and that includes helping you to fix your first issue. We enjoy working with new contributors and helping you to succeed, since your success is ours as well.

Again, thanks for bringing your questions here, and please keep them coming!

5 Likes

@cewing Thanks a lot sir :slight_smile: I'll be back soon whenever I get stuck again !

Just to correct you @cewing, the UX bugs are ways in which plone doesn't meet user needs and are usually much deeper than just frontend, requiring changes to how plone works. They are often feature requests to which we have haven't worked out the best feature yet. UX != UI.
There might be another tag for purely frontend related bugs.

Hello everyone, I'm Moksh Jain, a fresher from National Institute of Technology Karnataka, India. I have a fair amount of experience working with HTML5, CSS3 and JavaScript along with frameworks like Angular2 and Polymer. I've identified a couple of projects that I'm strongly interested in. I am really excited and look forward to contributing to this organisation.

Hello,

My name is Amar Prakash Pandey, a senior year undergraduate student pursuing the bachelor of technology degree in Computer Science and Engineering. I am an Open Source Community Member at DuckDuckHack, the open source community of DuckDuckGo.

I would like to contribute to the Plone organization through the project "Content Import & Export". It would be great if someone can guide me further.

Welcome to the Plone community, @amarlearning! We are happy you have chosen to try out Plone for your GSoC experience. There is a list of activities you could use to get started up at the top of this very very long topic. I would suggest you follow those to get going working with Plone.

As for the Content Import & Export idea, you might find that @djay and @ebrehault have some ideas for you. I would urge you to start a new topic with your questions about that specific idea and mention each of them (use the '@' sign followed by their usernames as I did above). They'll be able to answer your questions directly.

Remember that we are a highly distributed group, so it may be a while before your questions are answered. But we are happy and eager to help you, so ask away!

c

1 Like

Welcom to the Plone community @mokshjain! We're happy you are here. Please feel free to start up individual posts regarding the ideas you are interested in. Or to ask any questions you have about Plone. Follow through on the starting points at the top of this post and you'll have a great start. We look forward to working with you on your proposal starting Monday!

c

Cheers!Hi everyone.Myself,Monsij Biswal from NIT Durgapur.On going through the features and powers of Plone ,I really felt very eager to contribute towards its further enhancement.At the same time I'm pretty confident that I'll enjoy my time developing for Plone.

Hello.

My name is Mikko Hursti. I'm studying information system science in Jyväskylä, Finland. I'm currently wrapping up my bachelor studies, while already carrying out my masters studies. During my studies I spent a couple of years working as a system designer in a Finnish company, but I have now decided to focus on my studies again.

I'n programming, I have most experience with Java, C#, JavaScript and PHP. I'm also familiar with HTML5, CSS3, python and frameworks and libraries like jQuery, AngularJS, React etc. I'm excited about the idea for being a part of the GSoC and Plone was recommended to me by a member of our faculty stuff. I'm currently trying to get familiar with the inner workings of Plone and hope to be able to work on some open issues to understand Plone better.

Looking at the suggested project ideas, I feel like the Content import & Export or Improved customisation of Plone listings -ideas would be well suited for me.

@mikkohu Welcome mikko. I'm a mentor for both of those (also @ebrehault) , so if you have any questions, start a new thread and ask away.

Hey, I am Aadhil Rushdy a university undergraduate from University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka willing to participate for GSOC this summer through Plone. I will follow the guide lines

@mikkohu Welcome! I'm secondary mentor for listings customizations, but because of your location I could mentor you also for other topics. Please, look a few posts above for earlier responses about listings customizations.

Remember that ideas are just ideas and you should scope it into an implementable project in your application. Still you don't need to send it blind, but you can ask comments from us (or the mentors at least). Quick googling came up with this about writing applications (seems legit also for us): http://teom.org/blog/kde/how-to-write-a-kick-ass-proposal-for-google-summer-of-code/

Shortly about exportimport: The idea mentions it would be Python coding, but alternatively it could also be JavaScript app calling Plone REST API (currently add-on named plone.restapi). REST API — plone.restapi v8.24.2.dev0 Use of Plone REST API in some way is recommended also, because you don't want to reimplement (de)serialisation of content by yourself. CSV support on top of that would require work. Use of React in Plone has been approved.

1 Like

A hearty welcome to @monsij, @mikkohu and @aadhilr! We appreciate your interest in Plone. Please do start with the guidelines above, and start additional posts for more focused discussion of your desired project ideas. The GSoC application period starts on Monday, so get going!

We look forward to working with you. Let us know how we can help you

c

And remember to read http://write.flossmanuals.net/gsocstudentguide/writing-a-proposal/ if you haven't already. You are not expected to write final proposal immediately, but start drafting it early and be able to get constructive feedback from the mentors.

Cris Ewing (@cewing), Asko Soukka (@datakurre) , Dylan Jay (djay) , Eric Brehault (ebrehault) and all the amazing community members here

Greetings

I am a Junior year , Information Technology student hailing from New Delhi , INDIA and have a deep interest in coding stuff and working with web technologies . Currently starting my open source journey from GSOC this year

Looking forward to spending more time with this community :slight_smile:

Have a wonderful day everyone !