GSoC 2022: Web Authn

Dears, I'm planning on fixing this issue #3273 as a first contribution. However, it's a bit trivial bug fix that won't break anything since it's a change in a static page (accessebility-info). So, I have a couple of questions:

1. Should I make those changes in a separate branch or commit to main branches directly as stated here

Only commit directly to the development branch if you’re confident your code won’t break anything badly and the changes are small and fairly trivial.

2. Should I add those changes in news/3272.bugfix or ignore it since it's a trivial change as stated here

All non trivial changes must be accompanied by an entry in the news directory.

Sorry for being long and thanks in advance.

You create a bugfix branch and submit a pull request for review, always.

I am not a core contributor but I would suggest having information is better than having no information. The release manager or the reviewer of the PR can later on decide to remove the information if it is too trivial :slight_smile:

2 Likes

All right, this makes sense, thank you so much :pray:

I opened a PR for the issue :v:

Should I ask/mention someone to review?

Perhaps @polyester or @tmassman could check the PR...I think, they are very familiar with accessibility in Plone.

It's now merged :v:
Hopefully the first in many :pray:

Dears,

Do you want / recommend any template for the proposals of Google Summer of Code?
I haven't found anything talking about this but I just wanted to make sure as some organizations have specific requirements for the proposals.

@ebrehault @tkimnguyen do you know this is handled or was handled in the past?

1 Like

E325: ATTENTION
Found a swap file by the name "/etc/supervisor/conf.d/.plone4.conf.swp"
owned by: root dated: Sat Apr 09 00:44:11 2022
file name: /etc/supervisor/conf.d/plone4.conf
modified: no
user name: root host name: siriusblack-VivoBook-ASUSLaptop-X509FJ-
process ID: 8993 (STILL RUNNING)
While opening file "/etc/supervisor/conf.d/plone4.conf"
CANNOT BE FOUND
(1) Another program may be editing the same file. If this is the case,
be careful not to end up with two different instances of the same
file when making changes. Quit, or continue with caution.
(2) An edit session for this file crashed.
If this is the case, use ":recover" or "vim -r /etc/supervisor/conf.d/plone4.conf"
to recover the changes (see ":help recovery").
If you did this already, delete the swap file "/etc/supervisor/conf.d/.plone4.conf.swp"
to avoid this message.

How to solve this error

Dears, I have submitted my GSoC Proposal, if anyone could have a look at it and get back to me with any sort of feedback, I'll appreciate that too much, and will surely address such points.

Thanks in advance. :pray:

I had a quick look at the proposal (sent to me privately by Marwan) and it looks very promising.

2 Likes

My proposal have been accepted! Very excited to start such a journey, work with people here from the Plone community, specially @zopyx as My mentor, and add more value to the Plone project.

I just want to thank anyone who has ever helped/supported me in the past period.

2 Likes

@zopyx @marwanatef2 any updates on the GSoC project? Is there a repo or a report one could look at?

Hi Timo,

unfortunately, @marwanatef2 retreated from the project due to urgent healthcare issues.
Happy to put this back on the agenda for GSOC next year.

That is unfortunate. I hope @marwanatef2 is doing better now.
Sorting out the Web Authn stuff would be of great benefit to many projects.

Right. I think it would not be so horribly complicated to integrate into Plone. A FastAPI PoC implementation already exists. The complexity is possibly how to integrate WebAuthn a secondary or primary authentication method, UI questions, token reset questions...the core authentication part is more or less trivial...

1 Like