GSoC 2018 Ideas: Improve plonecli and bobtemplates.plone

@MrTango what exactly did you have in mind when you said "increasing the flexibility of existing templates"? Could you give an example of improving the flexibility, of say, the add-on rendering template?

Is the util mentioned here same as Utilities?
I couldn't find anything with the name of 'util' when searching the documentations.

@MrTango template for util feels too generic (it does not mean much by itself). Did you have something specific in mind? How about preferring templates for some mostly used adapters instead? Like indexers, z3c.form default values, display widget templates etc...

1 Like

@MrTango Yes, I assumed util was utilities and continued with it. I would like to make the changes as soon as possible if it's something different. Thanks for pointing it out @datakurre.

@datakurre good idea, could please you add some examples if you have them laying arround.
@meshde yes i meant the global (not persistent) utilities, but asko might be right, it's probably to simple thing.
Some concrate adapters examples like indexers meight make more sense.
We are also planing to add a git support, which makes a commit after using a sub-template.
The goal is to have always a clean state before and a commit with every change after using it.

@meshde increase flexibility means add more questions to the bobtemplate so that the user have more options how to use the template. For a good example see the content_type sub-template, it asks some questions and they have an effect on what the template produces.

Alright! I'll look into it! Thank you!

The git support sounds pretty cool btw

One note from my site:

To write a good template for bobtemplates.plone/plonecli one has to fully understand the peace of which the tempalte creates. So if you write a template which creates a view, make sure you understood what a view is and how it works.

There for it is the best way to start, by improving existing templates, understanding what they are doing, how they are working and writing more tests for them.

Please try first to read the docs and than ask others, to not waste there time if the docs have it covered ;).

Happy coding :wink:

New final releases of #plonecli and #bobtemplates.plone:

happy coding!

1 Like

As @MrTango has suggested to work on improving to bobtemplates first and by the time we're finished with that, the conflicts with pip based docker might have resolved and we could have a good picture of it. So should I restructure my weekly target accordingly on the doc? so that we can track my progress. Since the change on the proposal was suggested at the last moment. So my submitted proposal still have old timeline in which adding docker support has to complete first and then move to improving bobtemplates.
@loechel @encolpe

@kakshay21 congratulations for being accepted for the GSoC ;).
We (Your mentor team) will have a meeting soon and get in touch with then.
I think for now, the best for you is to get familar with mrbob, bobtemplates.plone and plonecli first.
So please install the recent version of all the packages, for bobtemplates.plone it is a beta version, so you have to explicitly install it.
Then go more into the details of the templates, what they are doing and the details of the differnent components we are building with it. I will give you an introduction into the current state and my ideas behind soon.
If I'm not wrong, we still can adjust your proposal to our needs. So lets goo over it together then and make a good plan where everybody is happy with.

1 Like

Thanks alot @MrTango,
And thank you Plone community for selecting me.
Looking forward to having a great summer!

1 Like