GSOC 2017 Improve the Customization of Plone Listings

I can deploy it now. Thank you :slight_smile:

I have fixed the main points for my proposal. Can you please check it when you have time @datakurre. Please let me know if you can :)) Thank you so much for your help...

Checked. Let's ask also @djay to review the draft proposal.

Hey @datakurre, I have read this article again https://github.com/collective/rapido.core/issues/18. And I am just having a few questions. Is calling tiles expensive? And if yes, do we need to use something else which is more light-weighted for each tile in order to use the repeating tiles method?

Yes. Tiles may be expensive. The existing tiles are not particularly slow, but they are always multitudes slower compared to how current collections render content listings (they can be made a little bit faster than they are now [by making the composition more complex], but the core difference in amount of code to be executed for rendering a tile vs. rendering a catalog brain metadata string cannot be fixed). We have discussed this many times with Dylan, and the result seems to be that the GSOC project is for testing if the UX idea works in general and performance should be out of the scope of the project. And if the UX works, performance issues are left to be solved in the future.

That said, one of the main features of the tile design is that tiles can be slow. Tiles can be used to capsulate expensive page elements, render them separately of the rest of the page and cache them separately in a caching proxy (using ESI).

I understand now :slight_smile: Thank you so much for clarifying this problem. Should I just remove this problem from my proposal since it is out of the project scope?

I think it's good to acknowledge that you are aware of the issue and not solving it in the project is intentional decision.

Okay I got this. Thank you so much for your help :))