Going away from bootstrap.py to pip install zc.buildout or pip install -r requirements.txt

Continuing the discussion from Buildout.coredev broken? Not good for new developers:

You got it right on all fronts. Yes, Jens and I and maybe a few others propose to have a requirements.txt pinning just zc.buildout and setuptools. Yes, this should also be proposed to the zc.buildout project: https://github.com/buildout/buildout/issues/289

I consider pip installing zc.buildout directly or via requirements.txt a thinner layer than the bootstrap.py script.

Just to verify my understanding: using pip to install buildout necessitates having your ${buildout:directory} be your virtualenv root (or vice versa), no? ...as ./bin/buildout will not exist, but $VIRTUAL_ENV/bin/buildout will?

Sean

I guess you are a virtualenvwrapper user?
I am and yes, there is no ./bin/buildout script, there is a script $VIRTUAL_ENV/bin/buildout
As the virtualenvwrapper always activates the virtualenv I never notice, because I just call buildout

Not for this purpose, I am actually using collective/buildout.python, and keep my application build in a distinct root from my (Python build and) virtualenv; and am less concered with where the buildout script lives, and more with where assets created by buildout are created/stored (where is the ${buildout:directory}?).

My virtualenv is ../python/python2.7 to my application build, and I invoke ../python/python2.7/bin/python boostrap.py to get started.

Sean

@seanupton I have the same setup and still use virtualenv in the base of my buildout and it works well.

../buildout.python/python2.7/bin/virtuanenv . -r requriments.text

Then bin/buildout

@do3cc Thank you! Finally somebody is taking this discussion where it belongs, to zc.buildout. So far the only thing we did was adding more confusion...

1 Like