Error on restarting plonectl, and primer request

I am new, and all documentation you can recommend will help. I have followed the install guide to the letter, three times on an apache server clean install each time.

I really want to use plone, the addons and theming. I am struggling on just getting it started, and running.

For example, i ran buildout.cfg to add an item.

it seemed to go ok, then i restarted, and got this error.

I am using the unified installer, and I can get to and create the plone site, I just get odd things.

Tiny MCE icons are there and not there,

I want to have a Link on top to a folder, and then the pages on the left navigation for the pages in that folder. I looked for docs on that, but I think I am missing a base level primer.

Thank you for your time in reading this. M

ubuntu@ip-172-31-21-129:/usr/share/zinstance$ sudo bin/plonectl status
instance: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "bin/plonectl", line 13, in
sys.exit(plone.recipe.unifiedinstaller.ctl.main(server=None, clients=['instance'], location=r'/usr/share/zinstance ', binDirectory=r'/usr/share/zinstance/bin', fileStorage=r'/usr/share/zinstance/var/filestorage/Data.fs'))
File "/usr/share/buildout-cache/eggs/plone.recipe.unifiedinstaller-4.3.2-py2.7.egg/plone/recipe/unifiedinstaller/ctl .py", line 120, in main
returncode = controller.runCommand(component, command)
File "/usr/share/buildout-cache/eggs/plone.recipe.unifiedinstaller-4.3.2-py2.7.egg/plone/recipe/unifiedinstaller/ctl .py", line 83, in runCommand
po = subprocess.Popen(args)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 711, in init
errread, errwrite)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 1343, in _execute_child
raise child_exception

First thing you need to learn is to describe your observations in a comprehensive way. E.g. when I read "... and got this error", then I expect that the error description follows immediately, not several paragraphes later; how should I understand "Tiny MCE icons are there and not there"? It is vital to take great care with the description of your problems.

I assume that the plonectl status problem is a consequence of an earlier problem with bin/buildout: a buildout consists of different "part"s; running bin/buildout causes buildout to check for each part whether it needs to be updated; some parts can be updated in place, but others require uninstallation followed by installation - if something goes wrong with the installation, then things are missing. Likely, this happened with a resource expected by plonectl.

Rerun your bin/buildout and carefully look at its output. If you have problems with its interpretation, come back with the (exact) output.

Very fair criticism.

Sorry for the brain dump. I am just over my head a bit, and really was flailing to find the keystone to start a deeper learning of plone.

That really should have been the title.

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

Could you include your buildout.cfg here? If you do, erase the line that provides the admin password.