Auto-submit and auto-inject patterns on classic, missing XHR

I have a form using pat-autosubmit and pat-inject in Plone 6.0.6 Classic UI. It mostly works but I'm noticing an edge case where it does not submit an XHR after changes. This appears to be happen when a second change is made, before the first change has finished loading. The order is something like this:

1. Make a change to the form
  2. XHR submitted, no response yet
  3. Make a second change to the form
  4. First XHR response received
  5. No second XHR submitted

I'm noticing this with select fields at least, I don't know if it's an issue with typing into a text field too. Obviously this requires relatively fast select field changes and results that take a bit to load. If the results are coming back in about 300ms it's probably not an issue, but closer to 1000ms and you can start to notice it. Is there anything I can do to address this?

Not sure if that helps, but theres the delay option in pat-autosubmit which is set to 400ms as default (see Patterns/src/pat/auto-submit/auto-submit.js at master · Patternslib/Patterns · GitHub).

I also wonder, that pat-autosubmit is available, because it has no explicit import in mockup (see mockup/src/patterns.js at master · plone/mockup · GitHub) might come in from another dependency.

It's not in Plone by default, I included it with webpack. Maybe I should just drop that and have my own listener that triggers $('#form').submit()