2018 GSoC Project Brainstorm

I think we could use a final design push on this GSoc 2017 project (and maybe @loechel can chime in): https://github.com/plone/ploneorg.addonlisting/wiki/Final-Submission-Report---GSoC-2017 by @pavithirakc but again not sure if the work needed warrants a full GSoC project

Implementing the "Big Green Button" idea with plone.restapi and GatsbyJS (https://www.gatsbyjs.org/). GatsbyJS is a blazing fast site generator written in React that got quite some traction lately. There are already add-ons for Drupal, WordPress, Contentful, etc:

I think this would be a very cool GSoC project and I would mentor it.

So propose taking it out of castle and back into plone as a GSOC?

2 Likes

What is 'image focal points'

it's a cool feature that allows you to focus automatically on some part of an image while resizing it:

here is how it's implemented in Drupal 8:

we have this since 2013 with Plone 4 and… you know collective.cover? yes collective like in not a fork, and cover, like in cover your ears

this was somehow addressed here:

I don't know if this is still relevant:

When using Mosaic (which I assume will be the 'default'), it is a bit confusing to also use collective.cover

In fact, I have the 'opposite problem', image are rotated when they should not (the only workaround I found was to open the image in Photoshop (or similar) and copy/paste the image into a new one)

I totally missed this. Anyway I've submitted my suggestion:

Extend plonecli with docker support. Basically we're at a point where we can do development in docker containers, this can be streamlined by making it possible to manage that with the plonecli.

use cases are different: Mosaic is the new layout solution for Plone, the layout editor; collective.cover will use Mosaic at some point in the future to edit its own layout; collective.cover is optimized for front and landing pages that are frequently updated; it solves many specific use cases that have been extensively tested in demanding production environments (government and news sites) over the years.

but we are getting out of the scope of this post: focal points and basic image editing are things that must be implemented in the core (maybe as a behavior that allow you to rotate, mirror, etc.), or as part of plone.app.imagecropping (focal points, autocropping, etc.).

those are very nice ideas that can fit on GSoC projects, so go and fill the form!

2 Likes

If that's something someone wants to propose, by all means please do so. It would be a shame not to use that code in Plone, but I'm not the person to push for this.

@espenmn, good ideas, please add them to the form so we can preserve them.

@tisto, that does sound like a fun project. Would you click on this link to the form and add that idea to the rapidly growing list?

Thanks!

Would you be able to recommend a mentor for this?

@espenmn seems to me :slight_smile:

I had a brief look at castle.cms yesterday and it is clear that is has some advantages to Plone when it comes to 'usability'. The way media and galleries are added is 'exactly how a 'normal' user would expect it to work'.

PS: I am not negative to mentor things, but I am not really a programmer

1 Like

I don't think you need to be a programmer to be a GSoC mentor.

https://google.github.io/gsocguides/mentor/

Mentor: Mentors are people from the community who volunteer to work with a student. Mentors provide guidance such as pointers to useful documentation, code reviews, etc. In addition to providing students with feedback and pointers, a mentor acts as an ambassador to help student contributors integrate into their project’s community. Some organizations choose to assign more than one mentor to each of their students. Many members of the community provide guidance to their project’s GSoC students without mentoring in an “official” capacity, much as they would answer anyone’s questions on the project’s mailing list or IRC channel.

@espenmn, What @tkimnguyen says is exactly right. Having a non-engineer mentor is a great way to ensure that aspects of the project beyond the simple engineering of a solution get attention. If you are up for it, I'd love to have you be part of the team of GSoC mentors we have in the Plone community!

1 Like

This is going well so far. We've got 13 wonderful ideas in our brainstorming session. Let's see how many more we can gather. Keep 'em coming. We gotta get 'em all!

Hey!

I am a student here, and new to the Plone community, but I am interested in your projects so I thought I'd also chip in. I've just started checking out the Plone projects and found this Experimental PWA (https://github.com/collective/collective.experimental_angular_pwa) pretty interesting, and I feel it could be improved depending on the actual purpose of the app and also could be modified to fit in if the API is upgraded to graphQL. Right now as I am new here, I'm only exploring the APIs and the projects so can't suggest any proper steps but I feel it could do better with a bit of work.

Thanks,
Ajay NS

1 Like

There is a lot of activity on headless Plone including a sprint next week in Bonn :slight_smile: Seems like a good time for us to put all that info in one place but in the meantime search here for “headless” and look at the https://2017.ploneconf.org site talks and slides and training info

I'm not sure of the magnitude of this work but I believe plone.importexport(Gsoc'17 idea) can be projected again with ideas/tasks -

• Upload from another site. Enter url and do auth and stream content between sites, which would cut down the extra burden of handling and tracking of files.
  • Enhancing the advance tab, UI and the existing Upload pattern (which currently only allows multifile upload).
  • Resolving Open issues which require a few sprints.
2 Likes