The Plone Launch Team had its first meeting on May 13, 2015.
Initial team members are:
- Paul Roeland (documentation)
- Christina McNeill (communications)
- Gabrielle Hendryx-Parker (marketing)
- Sven Strack (documentation, installers)
- Steve McMahon (installers)
- Eric Steele (release manager)
- Philip Bauer (training)
- Kim Nguyen (convener)
The purpose of the Launch Team is to prepare the following to accompany the release of Plone 5.0 expected this fall:
- training materials
- coordination with framework team
- community communications
This is a summary of our first meeting.
- We are working towards a Plone 5 release date during Fall 2015. There will likely be one RC (release candidate) version before then.
- We will use an issue tracker on github.com for most things.
- Public awareness campaign
- New P5 materials for Plone.com
- Marketing video
- Previews to CMS evaluators
- Reach out to CMS evaluators
- Form demo team to produce and deliver webinars
- Recruit designers and European marketers for assistance
- Use local events (Plone, Python, grass roots, etc.) to work on, test, demo
- Sven and Steve angling for an installers sprint in August (location to be determined), which will include PloneFormGen work.
- Docker containers, Vagrant, VirtualBox installers. Possibility of Digital Ocean droplets and Linode images.
- No formal decision on Windows installer yet.
- There will be no OS X installer (instead, Vagrant will be the recommended installer for OS X).
- Create social media campaign
- Social media: advertise P5 sprints and events
- ...mostly in holding pattern until marketing plan is solidified
- Continuing to merge fixes.
- Need more testing of beta (and eventually RC) releases.
- Will help create release notes, which will feed into demo plan and documentation.
- Continuing to work on references to paster in documentation.
- Will branch soon for P5.
- Will need upgrade guide, possibly a new developer’s guide, add-ons developer guide. Plone add-ons porting guide (the start of it may be the August PloneFormGen sprint activity).
- 4digits sprint will include an entire track for P5 docs.
- Need guinea pigs to review P5 docs and flag problems (file issues only - no need to fix). Possibly PSU Plone User Group, students? See https://github.com/plone/documentation/issues tickets tagged with “Plone 5”.
- Possibility of World Plone Office Day (Stefania, Gil) assistance on grabbing and fixing tickets.
- Improved Jenkins checks are in place for Plone module documentation baselines.
- Need screen shots, screen casts.
- Will need to update training materials (Mastering Plone) for P5.
- See also documentation items (e.g. new developer guide, add-on developer guide, porting guide).