State of the restart of the Plone Community marketing material repository

Thanks, Armin!

In the spirit of this being an open source project, I'd really like to see those wind up in a public place (github?). Too often in the past, we've hidden things behind a "If people know we're going to promote Plone, then it's totally not going to work!" excuse, which is just silly. It's led to horrible communication, little to no progress, and a lot of infighting. I think we're all better than that, and it ends now.

We have an opportunity here to use the momentum and excitement around Plone 5 to really help build up our community and userbase, but to do that we need to start showing off. 2014 is going to be all about evangelism.

Elizabeth Leddy is working on finalizing plone.com. She and Trish Ang started from scratch and have created something that I think is going to be great for us. They're going to need the rest of us to start creating content though. These are opportunities to show off the projects you've worked on and highlight the technologies in Plone that made them possible.

Christina McNeill is going to be leading a team of editors and writers. One of their first tasks is going to be to interview Plone companies about these projects so that we can continue to fill out the verticals on plone.com. They'll also be generating news articles and regular updates on development and community progress.

When we've brought the community up to speed, when we've reached out to developers, designers, content creators and told them what we can do, then we can start to wonder what the CEOs of Fortune 500 companies think of us, but I expect we'll realize that they were never our true targets after all.

At the conference in Brazil, I met a developer who told me:

"Whenever we hire someone new, I show them one of Sean Kelly's videos so that they know just how great this system is and they say 'Wow, Archetypes is outstanding!' and then I have to try to explain everything that's changed since 2006."

That. Exactly that.

5 Likes