Looking at the complete Plone Customer Experience

Continuing the discussion from Future of Mosaic:

Modern page layout editors (think Wix, Weebly, Mobirise, Google Sites) have set new user expectations about page layout. I believe the concerns about Mosaic (or what comes after Mosaic) are therefore an important part of a bigger, holistic experience. However, we need to stay laser focused on the complete customer experience (CX), meaning the journey from "discovery" to a "customization deployment cycle".

Here's the CX Journey as I see it now (For the sake of simplicity, I'm leaving out the migration experience but it needs to be accounted for).

Discovery: Plone.com
Case studies and features are valuable
Opportunity: an intro video would be good
-->
Try and view use case demos: demo.plone.de or one of the others
A user is able to log in a see what it looks like to use Plone
Opportunity: A "guided tour" would help to point users in the right direction and showcase strengths in context
-->
Content editing, page layout, management: demo.plone.de
This will probably be done at the same demo site, a few more "help" style videos would be good at this stage, they would make the distinction between the layout, editing and overall site management
Opportunity: I have more vague ideas, but I believe there is need for clear signifiers that support the distinctions of edit, layout, management. This needs more thought.
-->
Installation: plone.org/download
I strongly prefer some kind of cloud based install because it is faster to get started. In general, a fast, reliable install would be the goal here
Opportunity: Implement the fastest, most reliable installation solution for MOST of our target audience .
-->
Customization and Deployment: docs.plone.org / training.plone.org ??
My general feeling here is that a user should be able to move from their first installation experience directly into customization, this is where TTW is valuable. There are still issues with TTW such as version control solutions and how to deploy, some solutions include "fat themes" but they still work best when customization is done on the filesystem
Opportunity: Complete the TTW experience, make it easier, make deployment and version control seamless.

Recommendation

I think Pastanaga is a piece of the puzzle, as it strives to provide a more consistent UI.
We should consider revisiting @djay's UX hitlist and see how it intersects with the suggested CX outlined above.

@pigeonflight You are dead right that the experience goes all the way though. In fact there is a step before plone.com, which is the messages they hear about plone, most likely from other people. What reasons they have for trying it. Is it "hey I heard you need a CMS that is secure, try Plone" or is it "Plone is huge and overly complex but someone told me it can handle my workflow permissions issues...", or is it "Plone use to be hard but i hard its slimmed down and can do customise things with a few lines of python like a microframework now...".

Most of the things in the hitlist were things that people made mistakes, were hard to understand or confusing in your "Content editing, page layout, management" stage. Particularly observed in training. Plone really doesn't give you much to work with out of the box. Some things like the hero page noting being directly editable are really confusing.

BTW, I tried to move most of the hitlist to the github issues but they kind of got lost in the soup.

For "Installation" there are many possibilities but a docker based solution gives the best of both worlds in something that is quick to run locally as a trial, easy install on your own servers and easy to run in the cloud. One thing I wonder, is if we provided a fully scalable multi server solution for free for plone using docker, is that going to help sell it? or is it better to leave this to plone support agencies?

This is a good video to watch on story telling, this is what, I think, will affect the "messages":
Excerpts:

So when I think about storytelling, we start with people who don't care. They're living their life. And we start-- I start by observing some conflict. There's something out there that people are anxious about, or it makes them angry or whatever.

one thing I try to do in my communication is be concrete I never want an audience or a user or a reader to infer the benefits. I want to just say, here's what the benefit is.

https://www.deconstructconf.com/2017/evan-czaplicki-on-storytelling

1 Like