Information for Interested GSoC Students

Hi!
I am Igor Kholopov, a third year student at MIPT, Moscow, Russia. I am really interested in "Improve AMP Support in Plone" Project idea. I followed your guide and started to get familiar with Plone project. (Love it so far :slight_smile: ) I have quite good experience in Python and have a consistent knowledge of backend development (ASP.NET, Django) as well as HTML and JS basics, hope these skills will be sufficient to participate in this project.
Looking forward to applying to Plone in GSoC!

1 Like

hi, Igor, and welcome on board! let me know if you need any help on this.

Hi @Paridhi. Welcome to Plone community. Hope you have a great time here. Please feel free to ask questions anytime.

Hello, This is Abhishek Prasad from India. I am currently pursuing an undergraduate degree in Computer Science. I have become interested in development since 2016. Since then I've made few small personal projects. Recently, I have designed the backend part of my college's technical fest website. I am somewhat okay in HTML, CSS, JS, Jquery, PHP. Currently, I am trying to improve upon my UI/UX. I am an ardent reader, I mostly like reading spiritual books/scriptures and also playing guitar. Looking forward to getting involved with this wonderful community and other wonderful and awesome developers.

Greetings, I am a student, new to open source and I see that this community is gearing up for GSoC this year. This community does work in the field of my interest and I would love to become an active contributor, with this program as my first step. I had a look at the ideas page, and the project titled "Plone as a Progressive Web App" intrigues me. Since I haven’t worked with this community before, I would like to get started with some simple contributions. It would be great if someone can guide me further.

@abhi_hk95, @kuldeep7398 , we welcome both of you to the Plone community. We're very excited and honored that you've chosen to work with us for your GSoC experience.

In addition to looking over the ideas page, you should read the other steps to getting started at the top of this page. In particular, finding a smaller issue in our issue tracker to work on and solve is a great way to begin to learn how Plone works (and to show off your skills :slight_smile: )

In general, the more you work on your proposal by discussing it with the rest of the community, the more successful your proposal will be. For examples of such discussions, you may also wish to take a look at some of the more extended conversations happening now in this forum around GSoC ideas.

In particular, the PWA discussion has spawned a number of additional ideas and approaches. Feel free to jump in and contribute your own ideas!

Again, thanks for joining us here in the Plone community. We are happy to meet you, and eager to help!

c

1 Like

Hello,
I am Ishan Kankane final year Computer Science student at UIT- RGPV, Bhopal. I have worked with Javascript, Python and also done scrapping using BeautifulSoup and Selenium both, familiar with scripy,numpy and pandas also. I like the organisation very much and want to contribute to it. I am starting with the above mentioned steps.

Hello everyone at Plone. I'm Bala pursuing my second year undergraduate at VJTI Mumbai one of the oldest engineering colleges in India.
I'm an experienced web applications developer and really liked Plone. I actually learnt more about Plone while I was reading about Django. Django came to be since any web application developer gets sometimes really frustrated with PHP. Not that PHP is bad, some frameworks like Laravel make it really awesome but I don't feel it has quite caught up to the simplicity and ease offered by Python. After a time writing varied and scalable code in PHP hits some roadblocks sooner or later.
Plone seems to be a wonderful CMS system and definitely I can say it would be worth its weight in front of Joomla Drupal or Wordpress. So I'm very eager to contribute here for the Plone foundation.

Thankyou for replying to every student individual. Honoured to be here.

Welcome to Plone, @ishan22dev and @balabky9! We are so glad you've decided to work with Plone for your GSoC experience. (And thanks very much for your kind words, @balabky9!)

Please do feel free to open additional topics in this forum with any questions you have as you move forward. It's a great idea to start fleshing out what you might want to work on in the open as soon as possible. Once applications open on March 20, we'll be able to help you polish your thoughts, but getting started sooner in getting feedback from the community is a great way to ensure that the two week application period is productive and successful.

We hope you enjoy your work here with Plone and we look forward to seeing what you can do!

c

It truly is fantastic to see such interest - thank you students!

1 Like

I told you !! Plone is awesome :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Can anyone show me how to contact with the Plone mentors?

Thank you so much.

Which project in particular?

Can I have mentors' contact for these projects: Improve the Customization of Plone Listings and Better Diff Viewer for Content?

Thank you so much :slight_smile:

That would be @djay and @datakurre

@jensens and @hvelarde

Should I wait for their response here, Mr.Kim?

Thank you for your help.

You should ask your questions, probably by starting a new topic for each project you're interested in, and mention them by username by typing @ then their username. Or you can find an existing topic here for each project (if one exists) and add your reply to that topic, and again mention them.

I will do that. Thank you so much for your help :slight_smile:

Thank you for your interest! :slight_smile:

Keep in mind too that there are many time zones involved here... I don't know which one you're in, but with the four people above we are talking about southeast Asia, Europe, and Brazil (and I'm in the US) :slight_smile: