Improving bobtemplates.plone

or directly in: https://gitter.im/plone/bobtemplates.plone

Do you still have plans for that?

Sorry, just saw your response

I'll try to get the release out during the sprint and probably working on the 2.x release too.

In another thread.

@idgserpro yes I have the access already

2 Likes

@pigeonflight Asko was using the term instant for the theme, I kind of like it, lets use this as the term for the themes which are more than a theme and bring everything with them. "instant theme" :wink:

@MrTango there's the "instant add-on" thing mentioned here: Let there be TTW add-ons - #12 by davilima6

I actually don't like the term for a theme, but at least you got me thinking now... :thinking:

@MrTango,
This is my shortlist...

• Power theme
  • Extended Theme :star::star::star:
  • Pro Theme (as you suggested above)
  • Rich Theme

I have a strong preference for the term Extended Theme because it is most descriptive.

@datakurre @ebrehault @tmassman what do you thing?

I like both Extended Theme and also Fat Theme. "Rich" kind of implies the alternative is poor, so I'd avoid, and Instant doesn't really reflect the case, as for the ttw addons installation story.

Ok "Extended Theme" sound good to me too.
For the new template it not that important, because we will have smaller steps with every template, not the big once to have all or nothing. PS I jusr released bobtemplates.plone which is basically the status what was in master for a while. I fixed the travis setup and also remove the fattheme buildout for nor. Because it was not working and might be obsolete soon anyway.
Please test the release. I decided to make it a 2.0 release, because we have already changes in the way how to use it, because we have the separation of the theme template already merged. I created a branch for 2.x in that we could add bugfixes.

I'll will now continue to work on the 3.x release which will bring the subtemplates and will give us a more modular structure for the future. I hope that I can finhsh this on this sprint, until Wednesday.

@pigeonflight and @davilima6 are you comming to the PloneConf this year?
Maybe we could have a session on this topic togerther and exchange ideas to improve the templates.

2 Likes

@MrTango,
I'm not going to make it this year, a combination of budget and not looking like a good idea to be away from the family in that week. Currently trying to figure out how to get @b4oshany there :slight_smile:

Yes, I am! o/

1 Like

There is a WIP branch for 3.0, please test, contribute and give feedback:

https://github.com/plone/bobtemplates.plone/tree/3.0-WIP

For anyone else trying out the 3.0 branch here's how to install it from git.
(I use mkvirtualenv for convenience)

mkvirtualenv bobenv
git clone git@github.com:plone/bobtemplates.plone.git
cd bobtemplates.plone
git checkout 3.0-WIP
python setup.py develop
1 Like

Or use:

pip install git+https://github.com/plone/bobtemplates.plone.git@3.0-WIP
2 Likes

I use it like this:

git clone git@github.com:plone/bobtemplates.plone.git
cd bobtemplates.plone
git checkout 3.0-WIP
virtualenv .
./bin/pip install - r requirements.txt
./bin/buildout

And then I use the templates like this:

./bin/mrbob bobtemplates.plone:addon -O collective.todos

This is handy for developing the templates.
But @tmassman way is easier for the user way of testing it out :wink:

We still need to fix the travis setup and integrate the work of @Alexander_Loechel into that branch.
@Alexander_Loechel could you move your work into the new structure?

We need two dimensions in the test maxtrix, one is the Plone version and the other the different templates or combinations of templates.

• addon
  • addon + theme
  • addon + content_type
  • buildout
  • theme_package

Just a note: the theme subtemplate currently adds a registration of the theme to the configure.zcml of the addon package.
We will change this, because the resulting zcml file comes from lxml then and has a different formating.
We decided to just print a note, what the developer has to do.
This will probably apply to other updating files task later as well.
But it's the best way to not mangle the files.
Be aware that the subtemplates will override files, if they already exist.
So always use a clean repository before using them!

I'm envisioning some kind alias that would allow doing something like:

./bin/plone-cli collective.todos

It would be less to think about.

yes, it's on the list but more important is the new setup now and a release.
We can wrap it later with a thing like that.

plonecli addon collective.todos

or

plonecli theme

and so on